Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I like being a bus driver

+8
Bristol LH
Sheep
The Evil Bus Driver
patrolman
K1YRL
Pukerlicious
WOLVERINE ///
Daisy Dart
12 posters

Go down

I like being a bus driver Empty I like being a bus driver

Post  Daisy Dart Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Despite some of the shite that this job can often throw up occasionally, I must admit I enjoy the job most of the time. To be honest I cant think of any other job that I would rather do. Worked in shops but much prefer driving buses.
Daisy Dart
Daisy Dart
Admin

https://thebdc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

I like being a bus driver Empty Re: I like being a bus driver

Post  WOLVERINE /// Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:22 pm

It could be a good job if manegement respected there workers and backed them up when neeeded.Not a fan of the job but the hourly rate is good,although their are times i do get i shift were i think it has been good.
WOLVERINE ///
WOLVERINE ///
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pukerlicious Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:54 am

I suppose it's like everyone says, it is what you make of it. If you go to work in the morning in a good mood and enjoy being friendly to people, a bit chatty even, and are a calm driver, then chances are you'll enjoy it. If the opposite then you obviously won't. Everyone has days when they're a bit miserable for whatever reason, can't be bothered and just can't wait to get home.

I'd like to think I'd be the former if I were to drive them... I think the area/routes that you drive can make a difference too. You just get some areas where people are usually friendly and chatty, and I think that can make a world of difference sometimes too. I always try to be polite and friendly when I get on, perhaps ask how they are or whatever. Particularly with Veolia where the route has more regular drivers (and a smaller number of them), you get to know them a bit and they get to know you. If they know you're friendly and in a good mood then they are too, I often get drivers that are particularly cheerful and friendly with me sometimes moreso than with others. You still get the odd one that won't say anything at all, and I'll just say "hi" and "thanks" to and nothing more. I have noticed First tend to be like the latter though...
Pukerlicious
Pukerlicious

Back to top Go down

Post  K1YRL Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:41 am

Tell you what,there are worse jobs and for the money you can't really complain.I manage to survive on it.
K1YRL
K1YRL

Back to top Go down

Post  Pukerlicious Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:37 am

Yup, it's also shocking how much wages vary from area to area and company to company though (area more).
Pukerlicious
Pukerlicious

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:05 am

Pukerlicious wrote:Yup, it's also shocking how much wages vary from area to area and company to company though (area more).

Tell me about it!
Daisy Dart
Daisy Dart
Admin

https://thebdc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

I like being a bus driver Empty loved the job.

Post  patrolman Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:00 pm

At 22 when i first started drivin buses i was quite shy for my age Crying or Very sad ,but after dealing with the public and being in the public eye so to speak,i soon toughened up and became quite confident and soon was able to deal with situations were other people might have shyed away from,and when i went out at night i noticed that women already knew me and would start a conversation bout buses which broke the ice,so tbh the jobs been good for me,and although ive stepped up a gear within the industry,i still enjoy it Very Happy .
patrolman
patrolman

Back to top Go down

Post  The Evil Bus Driver Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:51 am

Despite the shortcomings of the job. I like it too. I like driving plus the absurdities that crop up occasionally keep me smiling...
The Evil Bus Driver
The Evil Bus Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheep Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 pm

I like being a coach driver, skive... skive... skive... skive!

Sheep

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:27 pm

You will be dealing with riots on Saturday though. Watch out for low flying bricks!
Bristol LH
Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheep Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 pm

only small cab windows in an ailsa!

Sheep

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Big windscreen though Razz
Bristol LH
Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  madmentalmike Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:25 pm

I like driving buses, I just don't like picking up passengers Laughing

madmentalmike

Back to top Go down

Post  kernowbusman Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:09 am

Yep, I've been out of it for 2 years and miss it like hell.

kernowbusman

Back to top Go down

Post  2eZero Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Trucking now Wink

One cute thing I have found is this. My D auto is upgraded to a manual when I take my C manual.

When I get my C+E it upgrades my D to a D+E

C is LGV/HGV rigid, and the E is with a trailer.

2eZero

Back to top Go down

I like being a bus driver Empty Oh absolutely! I agree!

Post  Relaxer Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:06 pm

bounce I qualified 5 years ago & while I do get nutters on board who get nasty etc as all of us do sooner or later, most passengers are no trouble & I've made personal friends with a couple here & there.

I love my job too, wouldn't do it if I didn't! cheers

The only problem I have is that I'm only 5'1 tall AND arthritic (rheumatoid and osteo both in together!) & you know what some of the steps are like from the ground into the bus & some of the others from the bus into the cab! I recently took over a shift from Martin, he was ok when he went to work but developed a migraine as the day went on. He's about...5'10 or something so I took over the bus for him but had horrendous difficulty in getting into the cab because the step almost comes up to my knee's so there I was yanking on the steering wheel & seat trying to pull my way in & as I got half way in with my rather voluptuous bum stuck out this middle-aged male passenger calls out THAR SHE BLOWS. HAUL HER IN! Like one of those squirty old sea captains!

I was totally stuck with laughter. Couldn't move in or out because he creased me up laughing! Eventually plopped in the seat & I called down the bus that 'I'll get him next time!' To say I felt like a dopey sausage is an understatement but that man, whoever he is, made my day! Wink
Relaxer
Relaxer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down