Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A head start at getting into the industry?

3 posters

:: The Depot :: Bus Fans

Go down

A head start at getting into the industry? Empty A head start at getting into the industry?

Post  Pukerlicious Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to put this...

A brief summary of my situation so you understand better: I'm 17 and in college doing the second year (of two) of A levels (Computing and Graphic Design if it matters). Over the summer I was debating whether to do the second year or drop out and get a job or apprenticeship or something to occupy my time. Long story short, I saw a careers advisor and there's little work in the type of thing I initially wanted to do as a career (and is still the "official" career path I want to take) which is graphic/web design for my current position, i.e. apprenticeships etc. So best thing to do was go back to college for second year and see how it goes, and if it comes to it then drop out (as if I did it the other way round I can't go back to college til another year). Anyways... I'm thinking of dropping out now. What the courses involve just isn't what I originally thought and it's not really for me.

Now, on to the point. Truthfully I want to get into the industry you guys are in, but of course I can't do that immediately as I need to be 18 before I can get started on getting a PCV license etc. What I want to ask is, do you know of anything I could do that is involved in the bus industry that could give me a head start so to speak? Like, I dunno, courses, jobs that I don't need a license for but still is within a bus company for example. Bearing in mind I intend to move on to become a driver afterwards. If not, do you have any advice? Thing is, I know about one or two courses in the industry but need to be 18+ for those too.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.
Pukerlicious
Pukerlicious

Back to top Go down

A head start at getting into the industry? Empty Re: A head start at getting into the industry?

Post  Bristol LH Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:52 pm

Seriously, my advice..DON'T. The industry is about to go through massive upheaval, and recruitment will be on hold everywhere.

But if you still want to get into the hell hole that is the bus industry, you could try an 'inside grade' job as a cleaner, but be warned, with the big boys this means nights, starting at around 7pm til about 4am, which really screws your body clock up a treat.
Bristol LH
Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

A head start at getting into the industry? Empty Re: A head start at getting into the industry?

Post  Pukerlicious Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:57 am

Alright, thanks for the advice Smile

Cleaning did cross my mind, but not the sort of thing I'd do ideally lol, and those hours especially. Not only that, until I have a car I couldn't really get home with those hours.
Pukerlicious
Pukerlicious

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:06 am

All these nappy rashes that are entering the industry direct from Uni are what is WRONG with the industry. They know absolutely sod all about the industry, and what it is like at 'the coal face' , and they meddle with things, and ruin the job. Worst and Stagecoach seem to go for these types of numpties.

It is time they went back to the 'old days' of management training. Working your way through the ranks, so all management actually know what the job is about!
Bristol LH
Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Evil Bus Driver Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:21 pm

Pukerlicious wrote:Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to put this...

A brief summary of my situation so you understand better: I'm 17 and in college doing the second year (of two) of A levels (Computing and Graphic Design if it matters). Over the summer I was debating whether to do the second year or drop out and get a job or apprenticeship or something to occupy my time. Long story short, I saw a careers advisor and there's little work in the type of thing I initially wanted to do as a career (and is still the "official" career path I want to take) which is graphic/web design for my current position, i.e. apprenticeships etc. So best thing to do was go back to college for second year and see how it goes, and if it comes to it then drop out (as if I did it the other way round I can't go back to college til another year). Anyways... I'm thinking of dropping out now. What the courses involve just isn't what I originally thought and it's not really for me.

Now, on to the point. Truthfully I want to get into the industry you guys are in, but of course I can't do that immediately as I need to be 18 before I can get started on getting a PCV license etc. What I want to ask is, do you know of anything I could do that is involved in the bus industry that could give me a head start so to speak? Like, I dunno, courses, jobs that I don't need a license for but still is within a bus company for example. Bearing in mind I intend to move on to become a driver afterwards. If not, do you have any advice? Thing is, I know about one or two courses in the industry but need to be 18+ for those too.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

My advice would be to do an apprenticeship. That'll give you something to fall back on, and potential employers tend to look favourably on someone with that on their CV. Plus it would mean you'd have some experience in a trade. By all means get a driving license and learn to drive a bus but you'd be better off saving up and doing it privately as the industry, as said above will be a no-go area for a while.
The Evil Bus Driver
The Evil Bus Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down