Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NYCC to slash schools transport funding

2 posters

:: The Depot :: Bus News

Go down

NYCC to slash schools transport funding Empty NYCC to slash schools transport funding

Post  Bristol LH Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:12 am

Heard on the news that NYCC are going to slash the funding for free school buses to 'faith' schools in their area. Thats schools such as Catholic John Fisher & C of E St Aidens in Harrogate no doubt. That will make operators such as Eddie Brown & York Pullman, Tetleys & Geldards shit themselves, as well as Veolia/Frogdev Harrogate!

That will get all the upper middle class toffs moaning! No doubt more Chelsea tractors will be clogging up Harrowgayte on a morning and afternoon...Blakey, you may want a large cannon fitting to the front of your bus!
Bristol LH
Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

NYCC to slash schools transport funding Empty Re: NYCC to slash schools transport funding

Post  Blakeyhammer Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Cheers for that.

Not sure what impact it will have on our school bus services or sponsored service buses that serve Aiden's and Fischer's. Can't see them withdrawing the 56's & 57's as they are also used by the Public. First, Geldards, Eddie Brown's and Abbot's will probably be hit the hardest.

I will be suggesting that we have a 'snow plough' blade fitted to shovel all the arseholes out of the way.

Incidentally, I was chatting to the manager of my lads football team at the weekend. His lad travels from Leeds to Harrogate Grammar. He was being fleeced for £60 a month for the school bus, (not sure who operator was). His lad had to be on the bus straight after school which meant that he couldn't partake in any after school activities i.e. football & rugby.

He now travels to Harrogate on the 36 service as it's convenient to where he lives and is only costing £35 per month. Plus, he can travel out of school hours and terms if he wants to.

No wonder Geldards, Abbots and Eddie Browns have been battling for all the routes they can get if that's what they're charging per child. In Geldards case, with the wrecks they run, they must have been be coining it in.

One wonders if WYMetro will follow suit with free travel passes to colleges outside their area, i.e Harrogate College.
Blakeyhammer
Blakeyhammer

Back to top Go down

NYCC to slash schools transport funding Empty Re: NYCC to slash schools transport funding

Post  Blakeyhammer Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:23 am

I forwarded on the above news to our Union Chairman, (I'm old school and cannot use the word Chairperson).

This is his response

Cheers Martin. Yes I had heard this although the effect on us will be limited. By law all kids more than 3 miles from school are entitled to free school transport. However kids whose parents 'choose' to send them to faith schools are not legally entitled as they have 'chosen' not to send their kids to a fully comprehensive school.

Under the plans these children would have to pay for school travel. For us it only really affects a few kids in bilton/jennyfield but the biggest affect will be the kids who travel in from ripon, masham, boroughbridge etc generally on abbotts and eddies brown .

However I imagine they will apply it to new year 7's first so it will take 5 years to apply to all kids.
Blakeyhammer
Blakeyhammer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:28 am

When I used to run to Aiden's & Fishers, all the brats had boarding cards, and not 1 had to pay. All were from 'well to do' areas of North Leeds, where even buses to 36 spec would be classed as 'common'. Spoilt little rich kids. One of the obnoxious 6th formers dad was the one of the head bods of Yorkshire County Cricket club, and she was a real snotty cow! I think funding for their services (op'd by Tetley) are joint funded by Metro & NYCC, both of which are in the merde. Tomorrow sees the government cuts. Public transport will see a huge cut I think.

I also remember the day we had to push a Harrogate & District Spam out of the way at Fishers when it conked out...Pile of....Oily rags & matches..
Bristol LH
Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:30 am

Leeds to Harrogate Grammer sounds like Firstgroup to be honest btw
Bristol LH
Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: The Depot :: Bus News

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum