Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lets Cut your pay and hoilday but here grand?

3 posters

Go down

lets Cut your pay and hoilday but here grand? Empty lets Cut your pay and hoilday but here grand?

Post  peanutbutter Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:44 pm

I come across this wee piece a couple of days ago..............

The UK's largest bus company, National Express West Midlands (NXWM), is offering its drivers a cash lump sum and in return is asking them to accept a reduced hourly rate of pay and a reduction in annual holiday entitlement. This deal is not dissimilar to that entertained by British Airways, and akin to the offers, both companies are not thought to be performing financially well, too.

A NXWM driver on the upper pay grade receives £10.60 per hour and is afforded 25 days' holiday per year. The offer that's been made is to give each driver a lump sum of £1,500 in return for a cut in hourly pay to £9.40 and the number of holiday days drop by five to 20 p/a.

A reduction of £1.10 per hour, as is the case, multiplied by a 40-hour week, sees drivers' weekly gross earnings reduce by £44. As a very rough ball-park 'guestimate', multiplying this by 52 shows the annual drop in wage: £2,288. What we don't know is whether the £1.5k lump sum is gross or net, though we suspect the former. Either way, the potential savings for drivers on this upper tier is eaten up in less than a year as a result of the cut in hourly pay; and we've not even factored in the loss of five days' holiday a year.

It's difficult to see why any driver would accept this deal. We understand that the majority of NXWM drivers are not on the upper tier grade and so won't be directly affected by this specific offer. NXWM claims that there are numerous pay grades within its business and the remainder are well below that at the top. NXWM feel £10.60 is above the market place pay rate for a bus driver in the West Midlands, which is why they've opted to single the specific pay grade out.

Those on lower pay grades are to be offered similar deals, too. We understand that the offer being made is completely voluntary and at no point (now) will this offer be forced on any employee. Perhaps the fact the voluntary offer is so financially unrewarding is specifically why NXWM is not tying it up in official pay negotiations? The company can't be too bothered about its plethora of pay grades as it isn't expecting to reduce any as a result of the offer.

On the plus side, many families or couples could do with £1.5k right now. Is it any worse than borrowing money to purchase a sofa and over the duration of the loan end up paying back double the sofa's worth? Perhaps the most obvious difference is that the pay grade will never revert back to its current standing, or, extending the analogy, means you'll never stop paying for the sofa, long after it's been taken to the skip.
peanutbutter
peanutbutter

Back to top Go down

lets Cut your pay and hoilday but here grand? Empty Re: lets Cut your pay and hoilday but here grand?

Post  2eZero Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:06 pm

The £1,500 was for losing the holiday and the £4,500 or so was for the top rate drivers to take a pay cut to the mid rate. However, if those drivers who accepted left within 2 years they would have to pay that back pro rata.

I think bus drivers should get paid more not less Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil however..

They're also bringing in the 'Traffilog' system similar to the 'drive green' that so many companies are adopting... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

2eZero

Back to top Go down

lets Cut your pay and hoilday but here grand? Empty Re: lets Cut your pay and hoilday but here grand?

Post  Bristol LH Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:21 pm

NX group are rapidly going to the wall, so have to slash overheads. Bus usage is in decline too so revenue is falling.
Bristol LH
Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2eZero Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Revenue is falling as they actively tell the drivers not to contest invalid tickets or question out of date passes and 'revenue' will deal with it. That's even if drivers actually check tickets at all.

The forgeries I actually see tend to be created with a scalpel and glue and the main reasons is they have done such a sloppy job. I have told a few off that as they are mere kids perhaps they should have asked their teacher at school to help them as they haven't even lined it up properly.

They're trying to cut fuel costs at the moment with this new 'drive green' system they're bringing in. Oh. Joy.

2eZero

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Well when a Trident & B7TL & A Scania do half the mpg of a Metrolump, plus Enviros & B9's need sheep wee wee (adblue) which is nigh on 60p a litre... If NX group don't do summat soon, its P45's all round.

You should see how many ops are limiting their lorries to 52 mph. Tesco/Stobart group have limited most of the fleet to that now, and are saving hundreds of thousands of pounds in fuel bills a year.
Bristol LH
Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2eZero Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:17 am

I already knew about other operators limiting their milage; haulage firms have been doing this for years already. And it is a good thing that they are getting newer buses in the fleet with better MPG.

The Volvo B6's are about 14 years old and have a small engine for the vehicle and thus will use more fuel anyway. The Merc's are about 12 years old and will rarely pass 50mph anyway but seem to be the stalwart of the fleet.

The double deckers are mostly younger than 10 years, with the Gemini's being about 5 years old.

And yes, it would be nice that they keep going and that I do get to keep my job. I'm currently surviving being a bus driver Wink

2eZero

Back to top Go down

Post  2eZero Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:01 am

Limiting the speed won't help. The average speed for most journeys are about 10-15mph anyway, with an average fuel consumption of 5.

The thing is, on quiet routes at night they could put smaller buses on like Optare Solo's but they don't. Double Deckers mostly. I have 'suggested' it to management but it is apparently too complicated. They also told me to my face that I was lying when i said the rail industry could manage to stop smokers on their vehicles yet the bus company don't.

TBH Management are too aloof to do anything meaningful now with this company and I can see why most drivers don't give a #### about tickets and the like.

2eZero

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum