I hate Double Deckers

Go down

I hate Double Deckers

Post  AdamTheBusDriver on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Tell me if im being a bus racist here, but i hate, and i mean hate, driing double deckers. There is somthing about them... I it just me? cyclops

AdamTheBusDriver

Back to top Go down

Re: I hate Double Deckers

Post  Daisy Dart on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:43 pm

AdamTheBusDriver wrote:Tell me if im being a bus racist here, but i hate, and i mean hate, driing double deckers. There is somthing about them... I it just me? cyclops
I like boy buses but don't often get to drive them these days. Mind you my favourite type of bus of all is the Dart. I just love 'em although I know many don't!

http://thebdc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamTheBusDriver on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:28 am

We have Mini Pointer Darts, They are lush to drive but rattle like hell.

AdamTheBusDriver

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:03 am

AdamTheBusDriver wrote:We have Mini Pointer Darts, They are lush to drive but rattle like hell.

Yeah that's one of the problem with Darts, rattle rattle rattle. It seems especially bad from the cab windows. Mind you we have a Volvo B10BLE that as it goes along the road there is a constant squeaky noise coming from the back of the driver's cab. It sounds like two bits of rubber rubbing together all the time. A temporary cure for it is to go over a big pot hole, that seems to stop it for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamTheBusDriver on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:23 am

haa, i always find the cab door and the passenger doors are the culprits. usually giving the cab door a good kick sorts it out, but it does jam it aswell.... Laughing

AdamTheBusDriver

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:28 am

AdamTheBusDriver wrote:haa, i always find the cab door and the passenger doors are the culprits. usually giving the cab door a good kick sorts it out, but it does jam it aswell.... Laughing

Alas on this one it's not the doors. I think the bulk head behind the driver's seat is the culprit. The noise definitely originates from there. Probably the bus had a bad accident in the past and the bulkhead don't fit properly or something.

Back to top Go down

Post  K1YRL on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:43 am

I don`t mind what i drive.But i must admit i do like a single decker on late turns because it stops the local yoovs from going upstairs and messing about.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:07 am

Leeds doesnt have that many decent single decks any more. The former Superbus Striders went like SOAS, and were very chuckable.

I dont mind decent Volvo Olys though, with ZF boxes and tall diffs..Serious speed...

Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pukerlicious on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:33 am

If you don't like double deckers then come here, in the entire First Cymru fleet there are only 4 double deckers, R reg Volvo Olympians with NC Palatine 2 bodywork ex-Bristol. And you will be happy to know they have a 5 speed ZF and Volvo engine which is usually in long wheelbase ones, but ours are the short 10m. They can go like the clappers if you plant your foot to the floor I must admit! They leak like colanders though, around the windows etc. Seals are chewed to hell. The floor is usually saturated.

And even better still if you don't like double deckers; if you avoid school and college services, you'll barely ever have to drive them cheers

Regarding the Darts, are you referring to the older Dennis ones or Transbus/ADL with the newer engine? The levels of rattle depend on that usually lmao. I'd say a good 85% of our fleet are P to X reg Dennis Darts, a variety of Pointer 1 SLFs, Pointer 2s, Marshalls (majority of them I'd say) and some Alexander ALX200s. Some batches seem to be worse than others though. There's some newer than that which are Transbus and a few ADL, but we don't get many around my parts.

Good heating in Darts Laughing
Pukerlicious

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamTheBusDriver on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:07 am

K1YRL wrote:I don`t mind what i drive.But i must admit i do like a single decker on late turns because it stops the local yoovs from going upstairs and messing about.

I think thats mainly why i dont like them to be honest, and ours are mini pointers, got new in 2005

AdamTheBusDriver

Back to top Go down

Post  Paladin on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:03 am

Daisy Dart wrote:
AdamTheBusDriver wrote:haa, i always find the cab door and the passenger doors are the culprits. usually giving the cab door a good kick sorts it out, but it does jam it aswell.... Laughing

Alas on this one it's not the doors. I think the bulk head behind the driver's seat is the culprit. The noise definitely originates from there. Probably the bus had a bad accident in the past and the bulkhead don't fit properly or something.

The B10BLE's at Huntingdon all do it too......must be a Wright thing! Least they're better than the Enviro bodied Scanias which are falling apart. One or two up north have already needed their chassis welding up apparently!
Paladin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:44 pm

The Wright body is notoriously strucurally poor at the front, and it does seem worse on Volvos than Scanias. The front end module cant be as strong on the Volvo..

Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  macllain on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Weve got Royale bodied Volvo Oly's, Scania L113's, L94's couple of Volvo B7RLE's and 4 darts.

Id take a oly with a quiet fan any day, often attempt to swap my bus on a backshift for a decker. No rattles!

macllain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down